Connecting with God and Others
Growing Into the Likeness of Christ
Serving Thurmont and the World
Job Description for Youth Coordinator/Director of Christian Education
The Youth Coordinator/Director of Christian Education is a part-time position that develops and manages programs for the high school- and middle school-aged youth, and also co-ordinate and direct the Christian Education program for the Sunday School. Both of the programs shall nurture faith-building for all ages, that they may come to know Christ and experience God’s presence in their lives.
This person must be able to relate the life changing message of Jesus Christ to both the members of this church and to youth in the Thurmont community. They must be available to work a flexible 30-hour week to accommodate various activities and program requirements.
This position has a 6 month probation period, followed by a probationary performance evaluation. After successfully completing the probationary period, evaluations are conducted annually.
- Be a committed Disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Have or be working on a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in youth ministry, counseling, or Christian education.
- Have experience working with youth, and be able to provide references.
- Become a committed regular attender of TUMC, and support the church.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Adhere to Baltimore-Washington Conference standards for employees working with youth.
- Favorably pass criminal record and background check.
- Develop and implement a Christian youth program, subject to approval by the SPRC.
- Minister/teach Gods word to the youth, with the goal of developing Disciples of Christ.
- Encourage and enlist parental support and coordinate with other staff and volunteers.
- Coordinate and attend special projects such as but not limited to: youth retreats, church retreat (youth program), Youth Sunday, UMC youth camps and mission trips.
- Visit youth, attend youth activities (sports events, plays, etc.) and be willing to spend time with youth outside usual church activities.
- Network with other youth group leaders both inside and outside of TUMC.
- Be ready to assist parents seeking guidance to raise their children as Christians in a Godly home.
- Support youth in crises, and work with parents. Refer to Church Policy.
- Assist lead pastor with worship as needed.
- Select and recruit staff for the church school: Delegate and enlist support and volunteers to carry out the mission of Christian education.
- Oversee the selection, ordering, and distribution of curriculum materials and supplies.
- Insure that required reports and rosters are maintained.
- Chair regular meetings with Sunday school and youth staff.
- Provide church secretary with necessary information for bulletin and newsletter.
- Prepare and submit budget requests annually.
- The SPRC supervises the position and establishes expectations and conducts the annual performance evaluation.
- This person works in cooperation with and under the guidance of the lead pastor.
- This person will attend church council meetings and submit monthly reports. They will also attend and submit reports to the annual Church conference.
- This person will comply with all published Church policies.
Compensation package will be commensurate with education and experience. Individual health insurance provided. Two weeks paid Sick and Safe leave is provided. Additional personal leave may be negotiated with the Lead Pastor and SPRC Chairperson.